Parish Vs Trinity - 2 Nov

The first boy’s football fixture of this academic year took place on Wednesday 2nd November between Parish and Trinity, with two evenly matched teams competing in a hotly contested fixture. Having won the toss, Parish elected to kick off. The early stages off the match were played at a rapid pace with Trinity using their home advantage and controlling the majority of play. Much of the early possession was played out in the Parish half, however, thanks to some tight defending from J. Crew and C. Knight, Trinity were unable to capitalise upon this early pressure. As the match progressed, the Parish side (many of whom were representing the school football team for the first time) grew in confidence and composure. L. La Borde and J. MacCallum linked superbly in the middle of the field and were able to effortlessly turn defence into attack.

The early exchanges of possession continued, before Trinity were able to break the deadlock with a powerful effort which was drilled into the Parish net. Captain, L. La Borde, was quick to rally the Parish team who responded to this goal in an efficient and commendable fashion. The constant pressure on the wings from D. Nugent and J. Hodgson left the Trinity defence on the back foot. It was only a matter of time before Parish would draw level. The breakthrough came courtesy of a powerful and accurate finish by J. Hodgson. Parish were building in confidence and the battle of the midfield continued to be where the game was being decided.

The end to end action continued as Trinity were awarded a free kick which they dispatched in an efficient manner, allowing the hosts to take the lead once again, despite a valiant attempt of a clearance from H. Henriques. As the midfield contest continued, Mr Powell and Mr Samuels made some changes to the formation, introducing M. Treacher to the midfield and A. Powell onto the wing. This provided some much needed strength and grit to the Parish ranks who displayed a real surge in energy. Within a few moments of conceding, Parish were able to break on the counter attack courtesy of J. MacCallum and L. La Borde to release A. Powell who emphatically dispatched his effort, much to the delight of Mr Coe and the traveling Parish fans!

Parish were clearly not satisfied with the draw. They went on the attack once again with some brilliant build up play from the midfield, now bolstered by the introduction of F. Daly, who was quick to turn defence into attack. Within minutes, Parish took the lead with J. Hodgson scoring another vital goal on his competitive Parish debut. Trinity were a constant threat to the visitors, who were all putting their bodies on the line until the final seconds of the game. None more so than goal keeper J. Batt who produced a seemingly impossible save, plucking the ball from the top corner of the Parish net (despite the lack of clear daylight).

A late Parish corner was headed in by A. Powell in a calm and composed manner which saw Parish extend their lead in the final minutes of the game. Parish saw out the game with some excellent passing football - displaying their skill and technique. Upon the final whistle, the elated Parish team were eager to congratulate the strong Trinity side who provided a real challenge for the squad in their first competitive fixture together.

Final Score:

Trinity 2 – 4 Parish (J. Hodgson x 2, A. Powell x 2)

MoM – M. Treacher – For his versatile and commanding play in front of the defence which proved invaluable to the team.


TwitterFollow us @parishceschool Parish CE Primary School Blog